Monday, October 22, 2012

My New Obsession

I ran my first race this month. It was a 5K. I know, I know. Nothing serious, but it was exciting and sparked something in me. If I can run a little over three miles without stopping, maybe I can more...So, I've signed up for the Veterans' Day 10K and started training last week. It's been going well and I've been very committed. Yesterday, I ran 4.5 miles in 45 minutes and stopped twice for a water swig for about 10 seconds each time. It's a slow pace, but I'm still working at getting faster.

This weekend, I was talking to my sister, Ray, a former Marine, and was telling her about how I really want to run a marathon, most specifically the Marine Corps Marathon in DC. I'm going to be 30 next year and I want to have this accomplishment completed as a check on my life list of things to do (Am I too young to have a bucket list?). Anyway, she said that she's wanted to run a marathon too and it'd be really fun to do something BIG together again. So, I gave her homework: run this week to find out how fast she can run a mile.

So, now that I've conned someone into running with me, I'm completely obsessed. I've been reading about running on my commute to work, thinking about training schedules, and just getting really excited about the thought of running a full marathon. I'm even thinking of doing the Nike Half Marathon in the spring with a friend of mine who has a group started. It'd be a good indication of my fitness level for the fall 2013 marathon.

This week's goal for me: Continue on the 10K training schedule.
Ray's Goal: Figure out her running pace and possibly do a big run with me on Sunday.

I'll keep you posted on the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment